Passengers travelling on Alaska Airlines are allowed to take one carry-on luggage like a purse, backpack, briefcase, or any other item. Along with that, they are allowed to carry on baggage that should not exceed the given dimension, which is listed in Alaska Airlines Baggage policy. For additional baggage, passengers need to pay an additional fee per bag, which increase gradually as the number of bag increases. While passengers are allowed a waiver, some are allowed a discount for baggage. All these details are listed under the Alaska Airlines Baggage Policy, which we are going to discuss here. Thus read this article till the end to get all baggage-related information for Alaska Airlines.
Guidelines for Taking a Carry-on Baggage- Alaska Airlines Baggage Policy
While taking carry-on baggage on Alaska Airlines flights, you need to keep the following pointers in mind:
- Passengers are allowed to carry one personal item and carry-on baggage with them without making any additional fee payment.
- The baggage should not exceed the dimensions mentioned in the Alaska Airline Baggage Policy, which are 22*14*9. The dimension is specified so the baggage can easily fit in the overhead bin or the below the seat in front of the passengers.
- In the case of Smart baggage (baggage with a charging device or a lithium-ion battery that can be easily removed from the bags) will be accepted if it is carry-on baggage. In the case of checked baggage, make sure you detach or remove the battery from the bag before you check in.
- The sum of the dimensions of the bags should not exceed a total of 45 inches. Otherwise, extra charges need to be paid by the passengers.
- In the case of electronic devices which are battery-operated, the battery needs to be removed from the device. Following battery operated are allowed to be carried:
- Electric Board
- Intelligent Scooters
Contact our Travel Agent to Know Alaska Airlines Baggage Policy
Dial Toll Free Number : +1-833-714-2120
Guidelines for Alaska Airlines Checked Baggage
The Alaska Airlines baggage policies have been updated, and new charges will be applicable for the tickets booked after June 30, 2023. Details regarding baggage fees before and after June 30 are discussed below:
Alaska Airlines Baggage Fee for the Ticket Booked Before June 30, 2023.
- In case the passengers are taking checked baggage, they need to pay an additional fee. For the first bag, the fee will be USD 30; for the second bag, it will be USD 40; and for the third bag, a USD 100 fee will be applicable.
- While checking in, various items are exempted from baggage charges, including strollers, car seats, and mobility aids.
- The Ideal Alaska Airlines Baggage weight is 50 lbs and 62 linear inches. Exceeding the given weight and size can lead to an additional fee of USD 100 each.
Alaska Airlines Baggage Fee for the Tickets Booked After June 30, 2023.
- For the ticket booked after June 30, 2023, the additional fee for the third has been increased from USD 100 to 150. In case your baggage exceeds the Alaska Airlines baggage weight limit, which is 50 lbs, then there will be an additional fee of USD 100. However, if your baggage exceeds the size limit of 62 linear inches, then the fee will be USD 150.
- Also, the maximum weight and size to carry any baggage is 150 lbs and 100 linear inches.
Fee Wavier as per the Alaska Airlines Baggage Policy
As per the Alaska Airlines Baggage guidelines, various items are exceptions and waived from the Baggage fee. While speaking of exceptions, the following items are charged while checking in:
- Strollers and Car Seats,
- Mobility Aids, and Medical Assistive Devices
- Wine can be checked in without any cost for the Mileage Plan Members only.
- Coming from Hawaii, passengers can carry pineapple free of cost in well-concealed packaging.
The Baggage Fee is also waived for various Alaska Airlines Cardholders. Depending on the type of card, you can have one free, two free, or up to 3 baggage. Following are the details regarding Baggage Waiver in Alaska Airlines:
|Type of Card||Baggage Wavier|
|Alaska Airlines Visa Card||Only the first baggage is free, For second and Third Baggage, additional fees of USD 40 and USD 100, respectively.|
|Alaska Airlines Visa Busines Cardholders|
|Alaska Airlines World Elite Master Cardholders|
|First Class Passengers||First and Second Baggage Free, USD 100 for the third baggage|
|One World Ruby and Sapphire Members|
|Mileage Plan Members (MVP and MVP Gold)|
|Club 49 Members|
|Mileage Plan Member (MVP Gold 75K and MVP Gold 100K)||First, second and third baggage free|
|One World Emerald Members|
|Customers traveling solely within Alaska|
|Active Duty US Military Personnel
Active duty US Military Dependents
|First 5 bags free|
The above details regarding the Alaska Airlines Baggage fee are for the tickets booked before June 30, 2023. For the passengers having bookings after June 30, the additional fee of USD 100 will increase by USD 150.
Other Additional Items that Can be Taken Without any Additional Alaska Airlines Baggage Fee
Passengers can bring the following items for free while boarding an Alaska Airlines flight:
- Hat, Coat, Umbrella
- Reading Material,
- Food to eat while travelling,
- Prescription Medicine
Can I Take Sporting Equipment While Boarding at Alaska Airlines?
As per the Alaska Airlines policy, the authorities considers majority of the sporting equipment check-in baggage, which is thus subject to an additional fee. Speaking of the size limit of the sporting equipment, some of the equipment are waived from the oversize or overweight fee. Below are the following sporting on which oversize and overweight fee is not applicable:
- Fishing/Archery/Windsurfing Equipment,
- Pole Vault
- Kiteboarding Equipment,
- Golf or Lacrosse Equipment,
- Boogie Boards,
- Bowling Related Equipment.
For sporting equipments comprising of multiple components, the airport authorities will considers them as a single equipment and thus will be subject to a standard fee as per the Alaska Baggage Policy.
Following Are the Equipment Along with their Specifications:
|Fishing Equipment||2 Rod, 2 Pole, and one tackle box.
Also, dimensions should be within 62-115 linear inches.
|Hockey/Lacrosse Equipment||Hockey/Lacrosse Sticks
One bag/box of hockey equipment
Size must be within 62-115 inches
|Kiteboard Equipments||1 Kiteboard, fins (up to 3 inches long), one inflatable kite or foil, a control bar with flying lines, a helmet, and a personal flotation device.|
|Pole Vault||Upto 2 pole vaults whose dimensions should not increase 6*6*17 ft.|
|Scuba Equipments||Scuba Gear
Other equipment along with scuba gears include a tank harness, one regulator, one mask, a pressure gauge, two fins, a snorkel, a knife, a spear gun, and a safety vest
1 Scuba Tank
Dimension should not increase 62-115 linear inches.
|Snowboard/Skis||A Pair of skis, one snowboard, one boot/helmet bag,
Dimension should not exceed the limit of 62-115 inches.
In case of any additional item, a standard fee will apply.
|Windsurfing Equipments||1 windsurfing board, broom, and mast.
The maximum permissible size of the mast varies as per the flights:
Can I Take a Musical Instrument While Boarding an Alaska Flight?
Alaska Airlines has separate mandates for musical instruments depending on their size. Following are the details regarding policies for musical instruments:
For small-size musical instruments, you can take them along with your carry-on baggage. In case the instruments exceed the standard dimensions, they will be accommodated in the aircraft cabin.
In the case of larger instruments, they need to be considered as checked-in baggage, or the passengers need to book separate seats in order to carry them on the plane.
The Baggage fee for the musical instruments as check-in baggage will be USD 30, 40, and 100 for the first, second, and third bags, respectively. These are the standard charges for weight and Alaska Airlines baggage size of the baggage should be under 23 kg and 62 inches. In case the baggage exceeds the given specifications, the charges will be up to USD 100.
Alaska Airlines Policy for Missing and Damaged Baggage
In case any of the baggage of passengers is missing or damaged, they need to consult with the airport officials. After which, they have to wait for 24 hours before they file a claim for the missing baggage. In case of a damaged baggage, passenges need to show it to the authorities.
The Airport authorities are responsible for recovering the missing baggage. In case they are unable to recover the missing baggage then they need to pay the travel liabilities to the passengers. Following are the details related to travel liability for both domestic and international passengers:
|Domestic Liability||3800 per passengers|
|International Travel Liability under the Warsaw Convention||USD 9 per lbs or the actual baggage value preferring the lesser quantity.
For unchecked baggage, it will be USD 400 per passenger
|Travel Liability (International) as per the Montreal convention||SDR 1288/passengers|
Connect with Flight Aura
In the above blog post, we have stated all the details regarding the Alaska Airlines Baggage Policy. In the policy, we have covered all the items which you can take as carry-on or as Alaska Airlines checked baggage, along with the baggage fee you need to pay depending on the specification of the baggage. Now in case you require any further information or assistance regarding your travel, you can connect with Flight Aura. You can either dial the helpline number or use the Live chat option and get the desired information regarding your travels.